Black And White Knitting Norwegian style


Have I mentioned that it's really, really cold in Sweden right now? Lots of snow (as in traffic chaos), fire burning in the iron stove inside. And I've got my beloved Lusekofta to keep me warm. It's such a clever design. The pattern isn't "just" decoration. Because you knit the whole cardigan with two threads, it becomes as warm as a jacket! I bought my yarn (grey and white wool) while touring Lofoten/Norway some years ago, and knitted my Lusekofta (using a circular needle) during that stay. 

If you feel like making your own, there are lots of traditional, and modern patterns to download online. I searched the word Seterdal (the name of the rural area in Norway, which has given its name to the traditional pattern in these pictures) and found among others Garnstudion. Just remember to chose one size too big - the double yarn tend to make the cardigan tight. Good luck knitting! 

WABI SABI Lisbeth Williams @ Williams Design
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I were a good enough knitter! I just started, then left it so long that I need to re-learn. I had one of these amazing sweaters, but was using it as a pillow on a train in Russia and left it on there :(
    I was soooo sad when I realized this! These look beautiful and are truly so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ambitious of you to knit that beautiful sweater! I love to do stranded knitting, but have only managed to make a pair of mittens and a headband! I have a long way to go, don't I?!!

    Kram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerianna - how awful to lose a great cardigan like that! I see them sometimes in second hand shops here. Maybe you'll be as lucky where you are?? Fingers crossed.


    Judy - I learned to know already in pre-school, and have had lots of fun knitting since then. It's really not that difficult... once you get the hang of it. GoodLuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for share...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I love knitting stranded sweaters because they are in my category of looks really complicated but is really very easy. The trick is to learn "two handed" knitting by holding one color in each hand (some people prefer one hand but two fingers but for me that is not as fast). This takes a couple of afternoons to learn, but once you do it becomes totally natural - so if you never have more than two colors in a row than knitting becomes very easy - for larger designs you do have to twist in the back, but that's why most designs avoid large gaps except for sometimes the primary picture of a leaping stag or skiers etc This works with Fair Isles designs too, especially if you follow the only two colors on each row rule, but with Fair Isles you change colors often and during the design itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Disaster Cat, and thanks for all your good advice. Personally, I'm a one hand two finger person. Learned at school. Tricky, but great fun! Cheers, Lisbeth

      Delete